The Circle is a name given to the 13 most powerful mages on Eo, also called the Circle Mages. They were to preserve the piece between the races and research Magic for the well being of everyone. Their home was the once powerful city of Mulandir
"It al began with the discovery of the Allfire, and secret of the Convocation. Thirteen mages, blinded, driven by the greed for divine power. And under the bondage of the Circle, their armies unleashed death and destruction. Bonded with the power of ancient runes, cursed to eternal life and eternal death. Until the last day of the old era had dawned..."
The Circle was established five hundred years before the Rune warriors and the Convocation with a goal to prevent wars and conflicts, as well as to keep other power hungry mages under control. During it's first years, the circle followed these goals and Eo had peace and order. Even the dark races acknowledged their authority, and a golden age began.
This changed with the discovery of the Allfire. Much sorrow could have been avoided, had they not invited the perdition in the form of Hokan Ashir into their midst. The Allfire alone was enough to seduce them with madness. Two of the mages, Uram the Red and [Ashir|Hokan Ashir], wanted to claim the Phoenix stone as their own. Inside of it was a creature made from Allfire, the Phoenix. While the battles between the other mages did little to scar the land, the armies of Hokan and Uram devastated it. At first there were only the Red Legion on Uram's side, and Hokan's pupils on the other. However, the conflict soon escalated and Hokan conjured an army of undead which slowly pushed back Uram's soldiers, due to him not being able to get a sufficient number of demons under his control.
Only once Uram managed to find and enslave the great demon Ulather, did he have unlimited access to the horde of demons which caused even more havoc than Hokan's undead. Their acid slobber and magic devastated the land around Mulandir and made the Darklands out of it. It seemed as if Uram could win the war with the help of his demon horde. Hokan had to retreat, and Uram conquered Mulandir. However, the war continued, and before Hokan's undead were finally defeated, he conjured an even mightier army. With the help of the Soulforger, which he had created, Hokan formed a near unconquerable army of Blades, which swept away Urams demons during the battle at Kaith Halur.
What the other mages did during the war is not known, but they most certainly fought amongst each other. It's worth mentioning that Raith also had contentions with Hokan. Rohen also mentioned that his Orc army engaged in battle with a human army during the Convocation, while he was fighting his old self that travelled through time in his tower. All the circle mages except for these two Rohnes were annihilated by their own spells during the Convocation.
After Hokan Ashir was resurected by the Mask of Belial ,which was brought to his grave in Whisper by a Rune warrior (later called the Phoenix Bearer), he brought back to life and enslaved all the other members of the Circle with the help of a Life essence potion which he created using the blood of the god Ereon. With their help he wanted to merge himself the halfgod Belial deep in the Black Jungle, in the Bonetemple of Zarach. Just before the merging, Hokan was stopped by the Phoenix Beared (who guarded the Phoenix stone) and the Shadow warrior (who, wit the help of the Shadow blade, slayed the Fial Darg in the abyss) and ultimatley, killed by the Phoenix which was kept in the stone. All the other Circle mages were offered as sacrifices to Belial during the battle so that he could harvest their power.
The end of the Circle marked the end of the Rune Wars and the start of a new era without rune magic.
- [], mage of Ice. He helps out the character in Spellforce - The Order of Dawn. [Servil|Darius Servil] gave him the power to create portals when he was young. He tried to make a time portal to end the [] in a different way. When he grows older, he suddenly understands that what he did was wrong, and tries to stop the younger Rohen, resulting in his death. He got killed by the young Rohen, also known as The Dark One, at the Frost Marches.
- [Ashir|Hokan Ashir], mage of Death. Hokan is the most powerful necromancer ever. In the Convocation Wars his main opponent was Uram the Red. Towards the end of this war, Hokan created his most powerful weapon, creatures of black steel who became known as the "Blades". In Spellforce - The Order of Dawn, the player must find two halves of a mask, the "Mask of Belial" which must be given to the ghos of Hokan Ashir in Whisper. Hokan, being a necromancer is even in death always haunted by the ghosts of those whom he has damned to undead live and the masks silences their voices. After that, the player does not see him again. In Spellforce - Breath of Winter, Hokan even helps the player, though he does not appear as "Hokan" but as "The Masked One" and no reference, except the mask he is wearing and his rune-magic, is made whom he actually is. But in Spellforce - Shadow of the Phoenix, he commands the Shadow Warrior to do his bidding and resurrect the Circle Mages. For the mask he wears was created by Belial, a demi-good and devote follower of Zarach, the Bloodgod. Wearing the mask, Belial's spirit gained power over Hokan and thus resurected him from death. Now Belial plans to use the power of the Circle Mages to re-etablish himself in the world and then use his own power to bring back the dark gods Zarach and Nor into the world. In the course of the story the player learns that Hokan was once a member of the mage order of the Zerbitians, and that in the dark jungles of Xu, he found the Bone Temple, a sanctuary dedicated to Zarach. In this temple he found Belial's mask and thus became the most powerful necromancer. When he returned into the mage order's stronghold he was changed in mind and killed the other Zerbitians. Their head, Ankthar he resurrected as a Lich-king and then he travelled northwards until he came to Nortander and there joined the Circle.
- [the Red|Uram the Red], mage of Fire. Uram was after the Phoenix Stone to get ultimate powers. Bad enough, Hokan was too. So, the two of them began a war. Though it seems that during the Convocation wars every mage was battling all others, the fighting between Hokan and Uram was the most terrible and all the lands around Mulandir were deserted in this war. Hokan using his army of Undead, and Uram conjured the demons. Hokan's undead hordes seemed unstoppable even by Uram's bloodthirsting demons, but Uram learned the true name of Ulather, a mighty demon, and thus gained conrol over huge demon hordes and eventually stemmed the tide, until Hokan created the Blades; against those not terrible creatues not even the Red Horde could withstand.
- Raith the Black. A mighty sorcerer of the Norcane who examined the City of Souls. This earned him a seat in the Circle. He had multiple encounters with Hokan Ashir and the Fial Darg during the Rune Wars. He was burried in the City of Souls. His grave is guarded by a Fial Darg. During his life, Raith was a master of Black magic
- Iann/Ianna the Singer. A powerful Metal mage who was gifted in the art of taking Mana away from her enemies She was buried in Blackwater Coast.
- Silverhand the Master of Mirrors. A master of Mental magic.
- Yria of the Light. She was the only Elf in the Circle. Her speciality was White magic.
- Zahaar the Snake. Zahaar was a sorcerer of the Norcane and the second Dark elf in the Circle. He was a master in casting poison spells.
- Undergast the Weaver. A member of the Circle nothing is known about.
- Shar of the Isles. He came from the lost islands and brought the medusas under his control. Shar was killed by Undergast after the medusas abandoned him for binding the medusa Xyallah to a rune.
- Gor the Changeling. The only Orc in the Circle. He was a powerful Elemental mage, especially in the area of conjuring earth elementals.
- Isgrimm the Smith. Builder of Mulandir and the most important of the dwarven Stone formers. His home was a tower near Windholme which the dwarves called "Knowledge of the dwarves". He killed the dwarf Glamring
- The Piper. A master of Mental magic, especially in the area of hypnosis.